rails

rails

Monday, November 16, 2015

Out on the Wire (Book review)

I pleased to give you my book review of Out on the Wire: The Storytelling Secrets of the New Masters of Radio.

If I was as talented as Jessica Abel perhaps I could write this review as a comic book or graphic novel. Alas, I must stay with the typed word.

Abel takes us behind the scenes behind some of the best radio show creations. There she guides the reader through a series of interviews where the experts teach the reader how to tell a story well.

This is what got me interested in the book. I am a story-teller. I want to learn how to do that well. Stories change the world!

What's so cool is that in the process of writing (and re-writing her book (7 times!!)) she ends up teaching herself (by reading what she wrote) how to write this comic book.

I'll admit, at times--especially early-on--I was confused. Some of it was getting use to her pace and style. Some of it might have been her flashback to an earlier work (I'm still a little confused). But press on because there's good stuff in this comic!

I enjoyed getting to know the creators to some of these radio programs. It made me want to go and listen to them. I plan to check out these podcasts soon.

Abel walks her tightrope teaching us about pursuing ideas that really interest you, finding your voice, setting up solid story structure, finding the right sound(s), and the edit, of course.

All in all I learned a lot and was entertained along the way. I felt like I was learning right alongside of Abel.

For that, I am grateful.

  • More Info
  • Author Bio
  • On Amazon here

  • Note: While I was given this book for free to review (Blogging for Books), the thoughts are my own and were not influenced by that fact.