rails

rails

Monday, October 05, 2015

How Many Blessings Have I Missed?

“Simon answered, “Master, we’ve worked hard all night and haven’t caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets.” When they had done so, they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break. So they signaled their partners in the other boat to come and help them, and they came and filled both boats so full that they began to sink. When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus’ knees and said, “Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!””
Luke 5:5-8 NIV


Simon's response to Jesus asking him to put out his nets in deep water one more time is interesting.  I suspect he's thinking at least one of two things.

He could be thinking, "Lord, I'm exhausted. There aren't any fish out there. I know--I've been up all night. I just want to go home and crash. But to save face in front of this crowd, and because I respect you, Lord, I'll do it." 

Of course, Jesus doesn't mind asking him to go out one more time because he knows he's about to bless Peter and many others with a huge catch.

Peter could be thinking, "Lord, I'm happy to do what you ask. Your teaching is amazing and I've really been blessed by it this morning. So I'm going to honor you by doing what you ask. However, let me temper your expectations. I believe you mean well and want us to get a good catch--Lord knows we need it! Just don't be surprised if we don't catch anything (which is what I'm expecting). Poor naive Jesus. He knows nothing about fishing."

Again, Jesus isn't worried about his expectations. In fact, there's probably a twinkle in his eyes over what's about to happen.


So what?

I think for me there are a few takeaways.

First, the Lord Jesus wants to bless me. It's his nature to bless people--especially his people. He delights in doing it.

Second, his blessing often comes attached to obedience. Jesus asks me to do something and then to teach me to trust him more ties the blessing to my trusting and obeying him. Positive reinforcement is very effective.

Third, blessing may seem unlikely when we feel God's nudge to act in faith. As a result, I am often tempted to not believe and, as a result, not act in obedience. 

This means I miss out on the blessing God has for me. If Peter says he won't go out and walks away, either no one gets the blessing or someone else does. 

I wonder how many blessings I've walked away from.

God is a good God. We can trust him.
God is a great God. He is able.
God is worthy of all my worship and life.


What is God saying to you today?
What are you going to do about it?