rails

rails

Thursday, September 03, 2015

Love > Faith

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.”  - Paul of Tarsus, 1 Corinthians 13:13 NIV

Love > Faith

As I think about the challenge of walking with God consistently and by faith, I’m often disappointed in myself. I wonder what I could do better and how to pull that off. I marvel over how I can have so little faith and yet see God work in my life. Do I pray for more faith or more courage to exercise the faith I already have? So many questions.

Mike Breen (@mike_breen) wrote a blog post recently where he was wrestling with healing and faith. He discerned that the key ingredient to prayers of healing wasn’t faith (as I always assumed and thought) but love. 

Love. I never saw that coming.

It’s almost obvious to me now. Love > Faith. 

Well, I’m thinking now that love is ALWAYS the key ingredient. Always. 

Struggling with sin? Love.
Marriage issues? Love.
Struggling with unity in the church—or someone in particular? Love.
Lacking peace? Love.
Seeking everything but God? Love.
Praying for healing? Love.
Praying for grace while suffering with chronic illness? Love.
Looking for guidance? Next steps? Love.
Praying for a loved one to come to Christ? Love.
Afraid? Love.

The love of the Bible is a word of action. (“Love is a verb.” -DC Talk) We’re not talking about “love" the emotion or “love" as brotherhood. We’re talking living a life of love that flows from being loved infinitely by a God who says he IS love. That’s big.

Love is seen in our actions. 
Love is heard and felt in our words. 
Love begins in our thoughts.
Love arrives because of our God-given faith. 

Think about Jesus. 

His actions were always motivated by love (for his Father, his followers and others aka UP-IN-OUT) and manifested love.
His words were guided by love (the Father). They propelled others to live a life of love.
His thoughts were always fueled and guided by love. 

God is love.
Jesus is God.
Jesus is love.

So Jesus was love with flesh on.

An example, yes. But more than that.

His love changed the world. 
His love changes the world.

His love in me changes me.
His love in me changes the world.

“We love because (God) first loved us."
-John the Beloved, 1 John 4:19 NIV


What God saying to you?
What will you do about it?