rails

rails

Thursday, August 06, 2015

A Confession. A Prayer

Zephaniah 1

Why am I not angry when I see people who say they are Christ-followers worshiping things other than God? 

Is it because I struggle with this too and I don't feel like I can speak to it? Is it because I don't have a passion for God's unique place as the sole object of our worship and praise? Is it because I'm so distracted by my trivial pursuits of this world that I don't even notice? Am I even capable of seeing this wickedness?

I think about how little outrage there is over the Planned Parenthood videos. But then it wasn't that long ago when I didn't think about abortion hardly at all. I'd preach maybe one sermon a year. Maybe. The 3,262 babies/day murdered in the name of convenience hardly stirred my emotions--much less righteous indignation.

Lord, have mercy on me. I have not defended the fatherless or the poor. I have ignored the widow. I have sought church growth but not kingdom growth. Cleanse me and fill me with your Holy Spirit for I am a needy and bankrupt man apart from your mercy. 

I cry out to you, Lord, for mercy and grace. Do a mighty work in and through me! Make me usable and then wear me out! Strip away the sin that so easily entangles me. Purify me like silver in the fire. Move me to rejoicing even in trials. (James 1:2-5) Empower me to, "Act justly, love mercy and walk humbly with my God." (Micah 6:8) For you are worthy! (Rev 7:11-12)

Lord, when I see idol worship by Christ-followers today, give me the conviction, compassion and courage to confront it. In Christ's holy name I pray, amen.