rails

rails

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Made Perfect--Becoming Holy


"For by that one offering he forever made perfect those who are being made holy." Hebrews 10:8 NLT


This is a promise. Circle this promise in your Bible. Then pray it regularly. God doesn't break his promises.

What's this promise, you ask? Through that one holy offering (Jesus on the cross), God forever made perfect (complete, pure, righteous) those who are being made holy (his children/disciples/followers). Made perfect. Being made holy.

That's those who are in Christ. That's an amazing promise. 

If this promise is true, it means I can't earn any more of God's favor. I have it already.

If this promise is true, it means I can't lose his favor. Because he's made me perfect (in and through Christ) I will continue to grow in holiness (sanctification). 

If this promise is true, it means I don't have to perform my way into God's favor. In fact, I can't. He doesn't look at my behavior but Christ's behavior imputed on me...His taking my place on the cross...His bearing my sin and becoming sin on my behalf for me.

If this promise is true, it means I don't have to fear death because he is with me and I will never die. (sure, this temporary body of mine will die, but not me)

One final thought. This promise is for those "who are being made holy." How can we be "being made holy" if we're already perfect? Aren't we holy if we're perfect.

Yes and no. 

Yes, we are seen in God's eyes as perfect and holy in position. This is our legal standing in God's holy court. He looks at us and sees Christ's righteousness imputed on us. Therefore, legally, we are redeemed and justified (declared right with God our judge and creator). 

No, because in practice (how we actually live) we're far from holy and perfect. We are in the process of becoming like Jesus. We're in the process of moving towards our holy position by learning to live in holy practice. That's what sanctification is. That's what being a disciple is all about. Learning to follow Christ and becoming more and more like him.

You are made perfect. You are being made holy. Wow!

So circle this promise. Pray it and praise God for it. Pray it for your kids and your friends and your neighbors. Go grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord. He has done this great thing for you and me!


What is God saying to you today?

What are you going to do about it?