rails

rails

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Is the New Testament Better than the Old?

This is the covenant I will establish with the people of Israel after that time, declares the Lord.
I will put my laws in their minds and write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people.

Hebrews 8:10 NIV


God established the new covenant--the new testament--through his son, Jesus when he died on the cross. Israel broke the old covenant through wickedness and unfaithfulness. They couldn't keep the law--not even externally. So God created a new one. A "better" one. (8:6, 13)

God replaced redemption from sin through the blood of animals with the blood of his holy son Jesus for our sins--internal and external. It is for all people who repent and believe.

This is the infinitely high price paid, "So that we may serve the living God!" (8:14) We so don't deserve this.

And God gives us even more grace in that this covenant isn't on tablets of stone but on our "minds" and "hearts". Internally and eternally engraved on us by his gracious hand.

And God reminds us how much he loves us and wants to be with us when he says, "I will be their God and they will be my people." He treasures his people. (Eph 2:10)


Prayer

Lord, help me better appreciate the sacrifice you made in sending Jesus to die for my sins. Grow my comprehension of this merciful act so that I may better reflect it today. In Christ's merciful name I pray, amen.


Reflection

What is God saying to you?

What are you doing about it?