rails

rails

Friday, December 19, 2014

Show and Tell: Multiply Disciple-makers (xDM)

Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” (‭John‬ ‭20‬:‭21‬ NIV)


Jesus is walking and talking with his disciples in his resurrected body, at this point. He is helping them come to grips with what they are seeing and what has happened (the resurrection) and the implications. 

They are understandably upset, confused and emotionally exhausted. Which is probably why he keeps saying to them, "Peace be with you!"

Jesus will be around for a total of 40 days and then he'll ascend returning to his Father in heaven. So he's understandably focused on teaching what he wants them to do next. 

Mission. His mission. The mission of God:

Multiply disciple-makers.

He uses himself as the model so that they can picture in their mind what he wants them to do. Harder to forget. Follow the leader.

"As the Father has sent me, I am sending you."

It's simple, really. Just like Daddy sent me down here to show and tell you how you can walk in love with him again, I'm sending you out to show and tell others how they can walk in love with me--with my Father.

And then those you show and tell go out and show and tell to others who will show and tell others and so on. 

Multiply disciple-makers. xDM


Let's review:

It starts with "peace" from Jesus. (19, 21a)
It moves to going. (21c)
It follows that we send. (21b)
It comes with the authority to forgive sins. (22-23)


What is God saying to you right now?

What are you going to do about it?