rails

rails

Thursday, November 06, 2014

Is There A Doctor in the House?

"On hearing this, Jesus said to them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.” (Mark 2:17 NIV)


Jesus didn't minister to everybody. He didn't even minister to everybody he came into contact with. He focused his limited time and resources (Yes, he was limited at this time) on certain people.

Who did he focus on? He answers that question in this verse:

"It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous (those who think they're right with God), but sinners (those who know they're not right with God).

We wouldn't criticize Jesus for this because we know that he would only spend time doing what his Father told him to do. And this, apparently, was to focus on people who know they are sinners bypassing those who think they're basically good people.


I see at least two takeaways here:

1. God won't help me until I humble myself and admit my need for him. 

Now he probably has to help me to even see that. But I must respond when he opens my eyes and ears to the truth that I'm sick with sin and need rescuing. If not, then God moves on, it appears.

2. God wants me to focus my ministry as well. 

I am to focus on those who recognize their sickness as well. They must humble themselves before God. Jesus showed compassion towards those who were broken over their sin--those who acknowledged their need for someone outside of themselves. Those unwilling to acknowledge this will likely not accept the help even if you give it to them. 

So, whether I am a full-time pastor or a full-time brick layer, I discern who The Lord wants me to minister to with this in mind: do they think they are sick or well? Do they think they are good or sinful and in need of outside help? 

Now I would add this caveat: 

Sometimes God wants us to share the Law (Think Ten Commandments) to make them aware of their need for a Savior. The purpose of the Law is to show people they're guilty before a holy God--they're sinners with no hope apart from God's intervention. So, sometimes it happens that God will use us to break their heart before he uses us to heal their heart. In other words, sometimes God will use us to show them they're sick and in need of a doctor and then introduce them to the Doctor--Christ Jesus.


What is God saying to you right now?


What are you going to do about it?