rails

rails

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Wake Me Up, Lord!

Day after day, in the temple courts and from house to house, they never stopped teaching and proclaiming the good news that Jesus is the Messiah. (Acts 5:42 NIV)


The Apostles were full-time ministers of the Gospel. And they appear to spend the bulk of their time:

+Praying (Acts 6)
+Preaching/proclaiming the Word of God in the Temple courts (5:42)
+Teaching the Word of God house to house (5:42)
+Serving and healing the sick, poor, orphan, widow & foreigner (Acts 6)

They weren't busy doing a lot of other things. They may have had to work some to provide for their families (although I suspect they were fully supported by other Believers so that they could minister full-time). 

Their preaching and teaching revolved around the same things Jesus' preaching and teaching did--the Good News about the Kingdom of God.

Why do we think we should be doing anything differently? 

Why aren't we doing these same things?

Jesus went to the Temple (where people were seeking God) and the places where the poor gathered and he healed. And then he went where he was asked to go sometimes (homes). He spent his time ministering to these folks preaching and demonstrating the Kingdom of God. 

Here it says, "They NEVER STOPPED teaching and proclaiming the good news that Jesus is the Messiah."

"Never stopped." That is convicting. 

And, is it good news to us that, "Jesus is the Messiah?" It should be. We should wonder why it's not. We should repent if it is not. Help us see how awesome it is that Jesus came for us!


So what?

I should think this is an easy one to answer. 

We should be doing the same things that these Apostles who were with Jesus were doing. They were absolutely convinced that he was, "The Christ, the Son of the Living God." And they were absolutely convinced that he died, was buried and yet rose from the dead and lives. 

They lived like it too.

I would ask us if we believe all of this but I think I know what our answer would be. A sheepish "Yes." 

Sheepish, why? Because we know that we don't live like it's true. We live like it isn't real. Like it didn't really happen. It has little to no impact on our daily life. 

That should bother us.

I know that it bothers me. But not enough.

What should we do? The same things these Apostles did. The same things Jesus did and that he taught his followers to do. Be kingdom citizens. Live as if there really is a kingdom of God in our hearts. And show and tell others about this awesome kingdom. Freedom! Forgiveness! Reward! Belonging! Rescue! Deliverance!

Lord, wake me up from my slumber of apathy and self-service, from pride and lack of fear of God. Wake me up! 

Help me realize that you are alive and well and that you've placed me here on this little ball of mud to show everyone how great and good you really are. What a privilege. What a responsibility. One I haven't carried very well. I repent of that.

Don't give up on me, Lord! Transform me from the inside out. Awaken my soul to be fully alive and lead others in that life as well. 

Thank you for forgiving me once again! (1 John 1:9)


And help me pray this prayer without ceasing from this point forward. In Jesus' name I pray, amen!