rails

rails

Friday, October 24, 2014

More Jesus

"Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth." -Prayer of Jesus for his disciples, John 17:17


I want God to sanctify me. Daily. So what is sanctification? It's the process of becoming like Jesus Christ.

It's been said: "The word of God + the Spirit of God + the people of God will make us like the Son of God."

That sounds on the surface like three strategies or tools. But I submit that it's not. I think it's one. But not one strategy or tool. I think it's one person--one God. 

Jesus. 

Let's take them one at a time.


The word of God

We learn in John 1:-3, 14 that Jesus is called the "Word." He's "The Truth" (John 14:6). And he came in the flesh (John 1:14). So Jesus is the word of God. That's one.


The Spirit of God

This is the Holy Spirit or "Spirit of God" and "Spirit of Christ".

You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ. (Romans 8:9)

 This is Jesus' Spirit. I'm not debating that the Holy Spirit is distinct from the Son of God. That is an important distinction in the Trinity. But there is also this sense in which He's the Father's and Son's Spirit too--"God's Spirit". To call the Holy Spirit the "Spirit of Christ" makes it clear we're still talking about Jesus, at least in part. I think that's significant. 


The people of God

We are the body of Christ. 

Now you (Corinthian Christians) are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. (1 Corinthians 12:27)

He's the head of that body--his body--called "the Church". 

And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church. (Ephesians 1:22)

So the people (Christians) are Jesus' body submitted to Jesus as the head of that same body. The people of God are Jesus, at least in part.


What's my point? What does this have to do with being sanctified?

Jesus is the key ingredient in us becoming like Jesus. Makes sense. But even as we say God's Spirit and God's word and God's people are essential ingredients let's not miss that Jesus is a key part in each of those ingredients. 

In other words, give me Jesus. Give me more of Jesus. Give me his word. Give me his Spirit. Give me his people. That is what I must immerse myself in to become more and more like Jesus, the Son of God.

And by his grace I will.


What is Jesus saying to you right now?

What will you do about it?