Monday, December 09, 2013

Merry Xmas



I know it's annoying to many people but I am even more resolved to write "Christmas" as "Xmas."

Yes, I celebrate Christmas. And, no, I'm not trying to annoy purists. Nor am I trying to take "Christ" out of "Christmas." In fact, I'm trying to do the opposite. 


I want to remind people that Christmas without Christ is just a sentimental mess. But, when I say Christ, I mean Jesus Christ who died on the cross. 



No cross.
No Christmas.


Because if there's no cross, there's no Christmas. If Jesus Christ doesn't die for our sins, we aren't celebrating Christmas--not even the shallow, Americanized version. Because there's no hope. Only death and despair.

So why do I insist on "Xmas"? Because that big, fat X is a cross to me. That's what it reminds me of. 

So while it used to bother me when others abbreviated Christmas this way, I am no longer bothered. Because it reminds me about the cross of the Christ-child. And it gives me a ready reason to humbly point it out to others. Ultimately, I want to point people to the Jesus of the cross and resurrection, and make much of the baby born to die...for me.


So, Merry Xmas! 


Post a Comment