rails

rails

Friday, July 20, 2012

Theater Shooting Resource Romans 8:28

If God Is GoodI got this today from Waterbrook Press. I thought it might help I you're wrestling with the theater shooting.


God is bigger than this. I pray much good will come as a result of this wicked act. (Romans 8:28) Darien


Here it is:


July 20, 2012
Dear Darien,



I woke up this morning and my wife said to me, "Something bad happened in Denver last night."

She didn't know or say what it was as I rushed out the door for work. 
On the drive in, I turned on 850 KOA, the largest radio station in Colorado. It was non-stop coverage of a shooting that had taken place just seven short hours ago.

I listened as one of the authorities recounted what happened: 12 people have been killed and 38 wounded in what is being called the "Theater Shooting" in Aurora, Colorado. Witnesses say a masked gunman, dressed in black, walked into the theater with a gas mask on, threw gas canisters into the theater and then opened fire on the crowd. (Hear two witnesses account of the tragedy).


As I drove down I-25 listening to what had happened, just 50 miles up the road, I began to consider what the appropriate response was. Should I be angry? Should I forgive? Should I get a concealed carry permit? Should we have tighter gun laws?


I arrived at work and went to chapter four in Randy Alcorn’s book, If God Is Good (download it here). 
After spending 10 minutes with just a portion of Randy's book, I felt comfort. I had answers. I found my orientation amidst the flood of possible responses.

I wonder if your blog readers, church members, friends or family are feeling what I felt this morning?


If you'll be blogging or preaching on evil and suffering today or this week, I invite you to engage with Randy's book, If God Is Good. You can embed chapter four from Scribd here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/100603311/If-God-is-Good-by-Randy-Alcorn-Chapter-4

And here is Randy talking about If God Is Good with Greg Laurie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PrtKw0Q6gE

Here are some of Randy's resources to review:

If God Is Good (Hardcover)If God Is Good, Why Do We Hurt (10-Pack, Small Booklets)Randy Alcorn's Website

Trusting Christ,
Chris' Signature
Chris Sigfrids
Senior Online Marketing Manager
WaterBrook Multnomah