rails

rails

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Please Don't Call Me Pastor


Matthew 23:10

New Living Translation (NLT)
10 And don’t let anyone call you ‘Teacher,’ for you have only one teacher, the Messiah.



Please don't call me pastor (or preacher or reverend or bishop or elder etc.). This verse is why I prefer that you call me by my first name.  I appreciate the sentiment. You want to show me respect. I really do get this. I taught my kids to call their pastor "Pastor Eddie" years ago. (no, that wasn't me;-)) 


Now that I'm a pastor, I see it differently in light of this verse. Here's the thing: We're all on level ground at the foot of the cross. Yes, show elders and pastors double-honor (1Timothy 5:17) but remember that we aren't superior to you in any way in God's eyes. So let's not create a pecking order that God didn't create. In fact, He speaks against that.