rails

rails

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Living Bread

"Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty." - Jesus


John 6:35, NIV84




Jesus is speaking to a crowd that included people from the feeding of the 5,000 men the day before. They'd pursued Christ around the lake to Capernaum to find Jesus. 


Jesus understands why most of them are pursuing him. And it's not because they want him--they want what he can give them. And even that is pretty base. They want his food and miracles more than they want him. He gets this. And he addresses it. 


What we hunger and thirst for are food and drink. That's not all but that's a pretty base desire we all have. It's why we eat and drink. Because God has hard-wired us to need this and graciously made it potentially pleasurable in the process. But it's also instructive. And Jesus uses it here to teach about himself.


Jesus uses their hungering and thirsting to illustrate a greater truth. Just like their hunger and thirst shows that they were made to consume tangible food to sustain their lives, their spiritual hunger and thirst shows that they were made to consume a spiritual food that sustains their lives--The Bread of Life aka. Jesus.


Our desire for significance, acceptance, unconditional love, joy, peace, etc. are ultimately and eternally met in a faith-relationship with Jesus Christ. However, we tend to pursue these desires in inferior ways. And we're left unsatisfied. That's why we should pursue him above all else in life. Nothing else truly satisfies.


So what do I do? 


I pursue Jesus Christ.


I "seek first His kingdom and his righteousness". I "abide in him", the True Vine. I "keep in step" with his Holy Spirit. 


How?


By practicing the spiritual disciplines that help me most consistently abide in Christ. And I do these believing that God will sustain me as a result. 


Fasting
Prayer
Feasting on the Word (Bible)
Journaling
Giving
Practicing silence and solitude
Resting
Worshiping
Serve out of my spiritual gifts
Sing/create/write for His glory


Lord, I truly need you more than food and drink. Without you I am forever lost and dead. Cleanse me from my self-sufficiency and fill me with your Spirit that I will live out of your infinite provision and sustaining life--abundant and eternal. I'm alive because of you!