rails

rails

Tuesday, August 09, 2011

A Power far greater is on our side!

 
“Be strong and courageous! Don’t be afraid or discouraged because of the king of Assyria or his mighty army, for there is a power far greater on our side!" 2 Chronicles 32:7
Observations

Jerusalem is about to be laid under siege by the devastating army of Assyria around 701 BC. There is no reason why Hezekiah and the people of Jerusalem should believe that they have a chance of surviving this siege apart from God's divine intervention. It is belief in this that leads Hezekiah to encourage his people to not be afraid but to be strong and courageous in the face of overwhelming circumstances.

Hezekiah exhorts them to be strong and courageous. They no doubt were tempted to be afraid and weak. Hezekiah knew that if God was with them they could trust him and therefore they did not need to be afraid.

Hezekiah points out that God is stronger than the king of Assyria. He encourages them to focus not on the strength of the king of Assyria but the strength of almighty God. 

Application

So what, you say? Well, are you ever afraid? What are you afraid of? Probably, if you are ever afraid, you are afraid of things like suffering or discomfort. You may be afraid of what other people think of you. You may fear being out of control of your circumstances or the future. Whatever it is  you are afraid of, nothing is more powerful than God. Remember, God spoke you into existence from nothing. Nothing! I think he can handle your boss or neighbor or mother-in-law or professor. 

Because He is more powerful than anything.

Do you believe that? Good. Then pray with me...

"Father, thank you for creating me. For speaking me into existence from nothing. Thank you for being for me! I confess my fears and insecurities in life. Thank you for reminding me that you are with me and you're more powerful than anyone or anything. Therefore, I do not need to be afraid. You are so good, God! In Jesus' name I pray, amen."