rails

rails

Saturday, August 13, 2011

I Can Do ALL THINGS (Isaiah 40:31)



But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.
They will soar high on wings like eagles. 
They will run and not grow weary. 
They will walk and not faint. 
Isaiah 40:31 NLT


Observations

This verse is written by Isaiah to the people of Israel. He is writing specifically about those who "Trust in the LORD" telling them what they will gain but placing their personal confidence in Him. They will find "New strength". No matter how young and energetic they are and no matter how seasoned and conditioned they are, they will all eventually grow weary and faint and weak. But those who are weary, faint and weak but trust in the Lord will find a strength beyond themselves in the One in whom they trust.

They will also "Soar high on wings like eagles." That is they will find themselves able to see things from a better perspective (high), they will cover much territory with minimal effort (soaring requires little flapping of wings), and they will enjoy it! (Oh, I can't wait to fly in the new heaven and new earth!)

They will also, "Run and not grow weary...walk and not faint." They will have what they need to do what God calls them to do even when everyone else is flat on the ground from exhaustion. The Lord who created us can do this in and through His people.

Application

No doubt this is for Israel. And even though most of them do not know and trust the Lord right now--they will. God in His amazing grace will wake them up and draw them back. They will continue to be the centerpiece to His redemptive plan. But it's not just them who will receive His grace...

We will also receive this. We being those who also trust and follow the Lord Jesus. As a result, there will be times when we are exhausted and we'll need to totally rely on the Lord for strength we don't have. And He will meet us in that place of need. 

Usually, when I'm exhausted, I just collapse and feel very justified in doing so. However, the Lord may want me to then, in my exhaustion, to get back up and trust Him to provide supernatural strength and energy to go beyond what we can do alone. And not just survive..."fly...run...walk". 

So what am I to do? Well, what comes to mind to me is that when I am weary and there is more to be done for Him, perhaps I need to tap into that supernatural strength and get back to it. I need to allow Him to be my strength. For I can do all things in Christ who gives me strength!

"Father, remind me that though I am weak, You are strong. When I am exhausted and weary, You are ready to be my strength if I'll but trust You. Help me believe that You are with me and that I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength! And that 'The joy of the Lord is my strength.' May I trust You more than ever today. In Jesus' name I pray, amen."