rails

rails

Thursday, January 27, 2011

So how are we doing?


Nobody wants to be a significant part of something that is irrelevant. We want to believe that what we're a part of is making a real difference in our world on some level.

I ask you: Do you think we (GCF) are relevant in our community? More importantly, do our neighbors think we are relevant? Does anyone outside of the US think we are relevant?


I ask the question because I believe we are irrelevant if we're not doing all that Jesus told us to do. That means we're emphasizing what he emphasized. We're prioritizing what he prioritized. We love what he loved. We are passionate about what he was passionate about.

So how are we doing? (What would our friends say?)

I'll tell you what I fear. I fear being irrelevant. Because Jesus left us here to do something that was the most relevant thing on the planet. Nothing is more relevant than passing on Jesus. Making disciples. Relevant. 

So how are we doing? (What would our co-workers say?)

Here's a statement I want you and I to consider. It may be wrong or poorly worded but help me think this through...

Until we make the Gospel the priority of our church (by our actions, not just words), we will be irrelevant to our "neighbor" both here and abroad.

The Gospel meaning more than "Admit, Believe, Commit" and more than even doing the Great Commission. It's realizing that the overflow of my faith in Christ results in the Gospel being shared through me. In other words, it's not just something I do. It's who I am. The Gospel is who I am in Christ. And that will be obvious and relevant to our hurting world.

It's like God is love. God loves because He is love. We share the Gospel because we've been transformed by the Gospel. It's in us!

So how are we doing? (What would our neighbor say?)

If we use other churches as our standard, we'll be tempted to believe we're doing better than most. But that's not our standard by a long-shot. Our standard is found in the New Testament. "This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples." -Jesus, John 15:8

So how are we doing? (What would the unreached peoples of Kazakhstan say?)

1 Peter 5:6 & start with me, Lord,
Darien