rails

rails

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Great Tool 4 Making Sense of the Bible

When I first began seriously studying the Bible as a young adult, I had my trusty Thompson-Chain Reference Bible (which I didn't really know how to use) and, well, that's all. No maps, charts, diagrams, or dictionaries. If it wasn't in my Bible-I didn't have it. But I was fine with that because I didn't know what I was missing. I'd never been introduced to good study tools.

Let me introduce "someone" to you.

This is my review of Nelson's Complete Book of Bible Maps and Charts (3rd Edition). Simple stated, it's a terrific tool for those getting into the game of learning God's word. And let's get real: we need tools to help us.

Things are lost in the translation of the Bible which was written over a period of 1,500 years more than 2,000 years ago by 40 or more different authors. It's an intimidating task to even READ the whole Bible This book will help change that.

Charts and maps in vibrant color are laid out in a clean, clear, refreshing format. I love to flip through it and just stop and read. Their use of color makes information much easier to grasp and retain. They've done a terrific job of this making the Bible more accessible.

The narrative is simple and easy to understand while full of the most relevant information. It includes the research that you wish you had while reading a particular section of the Bible. It answers those questions that arise quickly when reading a book of the Bible related to historical context.

They've organized it logically making it easy to connect to your actual Bible as well as to the historical timeline. In short, they help the student navigate the Bible in it's historical context.

I personally loved the paperback version I reviewed. It was well-balanced and easy to flip through without closing on itself when laid down on the desk.

Nelson has done Bible students a real service with this latest edition of this tool. I recommend you get one and then buy one for your loved one.

Disclaimer: Nelson provided me a free copy of this book to review. I was delighted to share it with a good friend as he begins his studies of the Bible. Thanks Nelson!