rails

rails

Monday, March 01, 2010

My Girlfriend Pearl

Set boundaries on smartphone use. When you’re at dinner with your significant other or friends — try to be present, forget about updating your foursquare status with pictures of your veal parmesan. In our Jan/Feb issue of Collide Magazine, Sam Duregger wrote a great article about his time living unplugged.
The other day somebody told me that his wife called his iPhone his girlfriend. He said that she told him he's always looking at it.


Wow. If that isn't a wake-up call, I don't know what is. But then we guys can be pretty clueless. I find myself sometimes picking up my BlackBerry at the dinner table when the conversation wanders from something I'm interested in (as if that were legitimate criteria)...you'd think with my witty and fun wife and four daughters I could restrain myself. Did I tell you I was clueless?


I guess it comes down to being in the moment. Someone said it this way, 


"Wherever you are, be all there." 


It's a bit ironic to be reading the latest tweet or blog about how to better connect with my daughters (I wish I could say that's what I was actually reading) while failing to put into practice those very lessons. 


Yikes! If I'm not careful, my girls will accuse me of having a girlfriend too. Her name? Pearl