rails

rails

Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Bride Collector: Pre-Release Book Review

Dekker takes us into the world of the mentally ill (not just the killer) in The Bride Collector. What I didn't expect was to be moved with empathy over the struggles that some mentally ill patients experience. Empathy as in I can relate personally.

No, I don't see myself as mentally ill. However, if I'm honest, I have some pretty unbalanced ideas at times. I think we all do, if we're honest. I thought it was pretty insightful when the director of CWI pointed out that what many call mental illness they call giftedness. Because in the extremes there are extraordinary abilities (this is where my empathy ended).

Back to the story, though. Ted Dekker weaves another psychological thriller along the lines of Adam and BoneMan's Daughters. In fact, for a while I was getting the stories mixed up and thought it might end predictably. It didn't and I found myself on the edge of my seat as I turned the last pages.

At times I found the story predictable. But as soon as I thought I had the ending figured out, I was surprised with another unexpected twist. The further I read the more surprises I found.

As usual, Dekker creates great characters that you can relate to. (well, maybe not the ALL of them)

While my favorite books by Dekker revolve around the Circle Series & Lost Books, if you like psychological thrillers Ted has done it again!

Note: My book was provided by Ted Dekker.