rails

rails

Friday, February 19, 2010

What message(s) are you sending when you answer?

I love technology. It's cool, fun and often makes me more productive. I can do so much more than I ever could and I can do it quickly.

But it also slows me down.

The older I get the more I realize that I'm more productive when I don't multi-task. There's real power in focused attention. It makes sense too. Focused light is called a laser beam. And that can cut steel. Diffused or broadly focused light is, well, a flashlight.

So my next several posts will be about this. I'm going to do this by interacting with Sam Duregger's article "Practically Unplugged". Should be fun and I look forward to your comments on it.

Sam writes,

Set boundaries on smartphone use. When you’re at dinner with your significant other or friends — try to be present, forget about updating your foursquare status with pictures of your veal parmesan.

Not much irritates me like someone taking a cell phone call while meeting with me over lunch. I'm not talking about a call from his wife or an important call he warned me about. I'm talking about picking up the ringing phone, looking at who's calling and then deciding that it's more important than the conversation we're having face-to-face. Especially when he invited me!

Technology is supposed to serve us--not the other way around. When someone takes a call that interrupts a conversation, they send another message (intended or not) to the person that they're with: Your time isn't very important to me.

We'll talk about those who talk on their phones in public restrooms another day...sheesh!

Do you own your phone, or does it own you? #dontneedtoprayaboutthatone

The entire article at Collide Magazine here