rails

rails

Monday, June 01, 2009

The Sun & Space Shuttle...little perspective

This image comes courtesy of my bro-in-law at NASA. He writes,

During the recent Hubble Space Telescope servicing mission, this picture went around.  It's rather unusual (as our MOD Director notes, you don't see this every day), and I thought it might be interesting - just the idea of what's involved to capture such an image, and then there's that whole "perspective" aspect when you consider the shuttle is a couple of hundred miles or so away and the sun is about 93 million.

I can't help but look at this and think, "Boy are we small. Boy is God big!" 

After all, our sun is an average sized star in our Milky Way Galaxy--one of over 200 billion stars!

And our average sized galaxy is one of over 350 billion galaxies. Wow. Catch your breath. 

Note: If that didn't blow your mind, you need to go back and reread that. 

God is big. I'm not. 

Yet he numbered the hairs on my head. He loves me.