rails

rails

Thursday, February 12, 2009

I'm Ashamed

Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you. -Jesus, Matthew 5:10-12

It's telling and ironic that there is this tendency to want to be popular as a preacher of the Gospel (just being honest here). In light of how Jesus lived and was treated (the One I regularly exhort others to follow), you'd think I would want the opposite. 

Preacher/Pastor Francis Chan once said he thought that if Jesus had a church in his town that his (Chan's) church would be bigger. He wasn't bragging. He was admitting that he doesn't call people to the kind of commitment that Jesus did. As a result, he has a bigger church than he would if he called them to the same commitment.

When they treat us the way they treated Him (Jesus), it is evidence that we are starting to live as He lived. -Warren Wiersbe

I'm ashamed to say that few treat me like they treated Jesus. I guess I don't live very much like He did yet.