rails

rails

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

God and Big Rocks

The question of skeptics of God (agnostics, atheists) these days seems to be:
Can God create a rock so big He can't lift it. 
The point being that if He can, then He isn't all-powerful. If He can't, then He's not all-powerful. Either way, He turns out not being the all-powerful God of the Bible. Score-1 for the skeptic. 

Not so fast.

I used to answer this question with a wimpy, "Well, if it could be done, God could do it." I was unwilling to say God could or couldn't. And while I believe God can do anything He wants, I also believe, He always acts in accordance with His character (which excludes nonsensical things like creating rocks you can't lift to humor a skeptic).

However, I believe I now have an answer this question. My answer is, 

Yes, God can create a rock that's too big for Him to lift. And at the same time, it doesn't make Him impotent. In fact, He's already done it.

Here's how it goes:

God is one but is made up of 3 persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. We call this the Trinity. The point here is that Jesus is God.

God (includes Jesus, remember) created the world. That would include all the rocks on the planet, by the way.

Then God came down as Jesus, took on flesh, set aside His glory and much of His power in becoming human (while maintaining all of His deity). This includes limiting His physical strength. (Phil 2:7)

And there were rocks in and around Judea and Samaria that Jesus (remember, He's God) couldn't lift.

Hence, God created rocks so big that He couldn't lift. Yet He remains the all-powerful God that He is in the Bible. 

So while this won't satisfy a skeptic, it satisfies me. Because I can logically answer the skeptic with an answer that doesn't minimize God at all. And now I don't have to wonder if the skeptic's nonsensical question has any legitimacy--because it doesn't.

What do you think about the answer?