rails

rails

Monday, October 20, 2008

TAD Time?

I've always been a proponent of TAG time (Time Alone with God). But lately I've been examining mine and have found it wanting. Instead, I think I've had TAD time. (Time Alone with Devotionals)

Doing a daily devotional is a great spiritual habit/discipline. It is part of my "Training regimen" each day where I discipline myself for godliness so that I'll more naturally (or supernaturally, rather) do what Jesus would do if he were in my shoes. But if we're not careful, we can miss the point. I was.

You see, Jesus spent time with his Father--not a devotional book. Mark 1:35 says, 

Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.

He didn't get up early to read his Oswald Chambers devotion. (they're good, by the way) He got up to fellowship with his Father.

So the question remains: Am I doing my devotions or am I meeting with God? 

If you're struggling with this, I recommend the following:

* Try using nothing but your Bible during your time alone with God.
* Don't try to read too much in one sitting. 
* Pray back to God what you believe the Scripture you just read says. Make it your words back to God.
* Ask God to help you live it out today.