rails

rails

Thursday, October 09, 2008

Catalyst-first day

Here are a few nuggets from my first day at Catalyst with Brad, Brian and Jan...

For a leader to maintain moral authority, there must be alignment between what a leader says and what he or she does.  --Andy Stanley

"You prioritize the role no one else can play over the role someone else can play." --Andy Stanley

"There's a relationship between Father-Son-Holy Spirit and we're invited into that." --William Paul Young, author of The Shack.

"Good is the enemy of great." --Jim Collins

Jim also said that based on all their research, the signature characteristic of a Level 5 (top) leader is humility. Gee, I could have saved his research a lot of time and they'd be up a Bible too.

A couple other things from Jim...

"We don't have jobs & titles. We have responsibilities."

"If you have more than 3 priorities, you have no priority."

No great quotes from Steven Furtick but he was terrific. Lots of passion, energy and a challenging message that we took to heart. He'll be back. Preached on the space in life between God's promise to us and the payoff of when it comes to pass.

In talking about Acts 1:8, Brenda McNeil described Samaria well when she said, "(It's) hostile to us; we're reluctant to go there. We don't understand the people in Samaria; we're uncomfortable; they don't get our jokes. We'd take the freeway to avoid them." Yep, that's how I feel about my Samaria. Nailed me.

Seth Godin talked about Tribes and gave all 12,000 of us a copy of his latest book. Now that's what I call building your tribe. Who's my tribe? After my family, it's the core group of leaders at Grace. Those who give and serve faithfully and sacrificially. You know who you are!

Craig Groeschel challenged us with checking our hearts to see if we still have "it". What's it? Well, he said he couldn't really tell us but that the Holy Spirit was a big part of it--just not all of it.

My brain feels full so I'm going to bed.