rails

rails

Friday, June 20, 2008

Covenant vs. Contract

What's the difference between a covenant and a contract? Here's one explanation:
A CONTRACT is an agreement made in suspicion. The parties do not trust each other, and they set "limits" to their own responsibility. A COVENANT is an agreement made in trust. The parties love each other and put no limits on their own responsibility.
In other words, a contract is 50-50. I'll do my part but no more. I'll meet you halfway but if you slack off, I'm not coming over to help at all.

A covenant is 100-100. But even if you don't do your 100% part (and who does), I'm still going to strive to do mine.

Why does this matter? Well, marriage is a covenant. In light of the above definition, how would my wife feel if I related to her on the basis of a contract instead of a covenant?

Press this further...what if I related to God on the basis of contract instead of covenant? The Bible teaches that God has made covenants with us. He always keeps his part too. The amazing thing is that while we don't, he never stops loving us. We can harm the relationship but he's always ready to take us back. I prefer the covenant relationship.