rails

rails

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Tweaking the American Church--that's nuts!

I'm learning that my best blogging happens on the fly. When I plan to blog a series it only works if I do it all right then. So I am going to attempt to be more in the moment as I blog instead of planning it out so much. Hopefully this will result in a more authentic, raw and honest portrayal of what I'm thinking.

This quote is from an author and pastor I am growing to love more and more. I read his book Glocalization which moved my strategy in missions from the drive by to the partnering mode. We're tackling Curacao this way. We plan to partner long-term building relationships and transforming more than individuals--we want to change the world! Bob's newest book is The Multiplying Church which I haven't read yet. But here is a quote from it:
Right now, there are a lot of disgruntled people trying to reinvent the church. It will never work. The church has never been birthed from frustrated people trying to reinvent something that’s lost its punch. Instead, it will be created by those who are passionately in love with Jesus–obeying Him and following Him at all cost–connecting with the big picture of the world and operating in the context of the Kingdom of God.
From my perspective as a young pastor, I agree with this assessment. Tweaking today's church (in America in the south, anyway) is a lost cause. It requires radical surgery. Passion for Christ is the key prescription. May God pour our His Spirit on us so that we'll live out His passion fully and faithfully.