rails

rails

Monday, April 07, 2008

Train to Remain: Lessons learned...

Train to remain: Lessons learned from training to run the 10K Cooper River Bridge Run.

This week, I shared with our church about how God wants to use our life experiences to teach us and to help others. A key step in that process is to extract lessons from our life experiences. I told them a great way to do that is to keep a journal and to write down whenever you learn a lesson y0u want to remember. Well, I'm going to do that here.

So over the next several days I'm going to share with you lessons I've learned (or been reminded of) through running and/or running in a 10K (6.2 mile) race.

Lesson #1

I can't just go out and run a marathon well. I need to train for it first. It doesn't matter how passionate or motivated I am--unless I train to win, I won't win. (Thanks John Ortberg for those great insights in your books and messages)

To run a race well, you must train religiously (sorry) for months in advance. Each time is an act of faith that your muscles and lungs will get stronger through strenuous running and training. We can't actually see it happen and we can't just make it happen.

In our desire to live a consistent, Christ-like lifestyle, we cannot just assume that because we really want to that we will. We must train to remain connected to Christ so that we'll bear the spiritual fruit God wants us to bear. When we do, we glorify God and prove to the world that we're His disciples. (See John 15:1-11)

How do you train to remain in Christ?