rails

rails

Friday, December 07, 2007

ReThinking Church

I recently read the book, Reveal, that came out of the humble admission by Bill Hybels of Willow Creek Church (Possibly the largest church in America), "We made a mistake." It does a great job of explaining the mistake, diagnosing the problem and recommending some real solutions.

After reading Hybels book on leadership (Courageous Leadership) and then attending his simulcast leadership event last year (The Summit), I feel I also have a better feel for where they are coming from. Coming out of a culture (seminary) that frowned on Willow, I was naturally skeptical of them. I am not so much anymore.

Chuck Colson shares his wise perspective on this important issue of transforming lives (the mission of the church) in his article. (Listen to instead of read) This admission by Hybels is huge in and of itself. But to me what is most impressive is their willingness to roll up their sleeves and do something about it. And to do something about it in a way that benefits other churches too.

I am determined to learn from their mistakes instead of repeating them. There is too much at stake to do otherwise.

I'd love to hear your comments and thoughts.

Thanks for taking the time to read this short article.