rails

rails

Monday, October 15, 2007

Glocalization

Tired of drive-by mission trips? I am. And I've led them.

I'm reading a great book on building God's kingdom around the world. Nothing really new, right? Well, not so much. Bob Roberts is a champion of partnering long-term with others around the world. He's got a great manual on it too called Glocalization, playing off of the Best seller The World is Flat.

If you've been following Rick Warren's P.E.A.C.E. Plan, it's the same idea but with more specifics and more developed strategies as well as stories of his personal experience. He's been leading his church in this for years and is writing about his experience.

He's also created a network called Glocalnet where he has forums and more that facilitate global discussions and more.

Personally, I'm leading Grace Christian Fellowship to adopt this strategy. We are prayerfully and carefully moving forward with what we hope will be a long-term relationship with the people of Curacao, N. A. We are going down in the summer of '08 and will build on 2 previous trips I led from Raleigh Road Baptist Church. My hope though is that this time we'll leave with a long list of projects and ideas we can build on and contribute towards with our people's skills and not just send money. I see more trips where we partner with locals there to invest into their community.

I encourage you to ask yourself, "What nation am I investing in?" It's a scary step. But one with great potential for Kingdom Building in the best sense of the phrase.