rails

rails

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Lead Like Jesus

If you're a leader, here are 4 ways (from Bill Hybel message) to increase your leadership potential:

1. Read, read, read. Read all the leadership books you can find. Secular or sacred. Doesn't matter. Read leadership magazines like Leadership Journal or Willow too. I reading Now Discover Your Strengths by Marcus Buckingham right now. Courageous Leadership by Bill Hybels is great too.

I've also found podcasts to be valuable (and free) way to learn from great leaders on the go. I listen to Rick Warren's Ministry Podcast as well as the Catalyst Podcast to hear from great leaders. You don't have to have an iPod to do this either. Just download iTunes to your computer. Then go to the iTunes store and search under podcasts for whoever you're interested in. Then burn the podcasts to CD's like you would songs or just listen right there on your computer. I like to listen to the CD's while driving around town.

2. Go to leadership events and conferences. See below for a great value.

3. Spend time with other leaders who are ahead of you in your area or expertise. I meet with a staff member of a large church in another city about every other month to work on my leadership skills. It has already been worth the time spent.

4. Lead. That's right, don't wait to be a skilled leader. Get in the fray. Start leading. You learn a ton on the job.


Riverbluff Church is hosting a leadership event called Lead Like Jesus. I'm pumped about it!

If you want to go with me, let me know. It's low-cost because it's a simulcast event. But the speakers are top-notch and it's hosted by Ken Blancard and Erwin McManus.

It's Friday, October 19, 11:30-5:30. It's only $25 each. I'm inviting everyone I know!