Ideas for doing something now:
- Take somebody’s lunch tray for them.
- Serve at the local soup kitchen for lunch.
- Take a meal to a neighbor for no reason.
- Tutor kids after school, at your house or at a community center, for free.
- Baby-sit for a single parent for free.
- Volunteer at the local food bank.
- Have a neighborhood family over for dinner or a cookout.
- Volunteer at your local school.
- Offer your professional services for free to a needy client or ministry.
- Take goodies to a retirement home and sit and chat for a while.
- Send a care package to a soldier.
- Work on a Habit for Humanity house one day with your kids.
- Work on our local ministry blog http://www.summervols.blogspot.com/ to get the word out about local ministries.
- By groceries for a needy family.
- Sit and talk with someone suffering from an illness.
- Take a meal and gift bag to someone home-bound.
- Meet an inactive member for lunch.
- Begin organizing Operation: Christmas Child for your Home Group or family.
- Host a neighborhood yard sale to raise money to go (or send someone else) on a mission trip.
- Prepare and send a care package or a card of encouragement to Graham & Ashlei in East Asia, Steve & Marie Lindenmeyer in
Thailand, or The P's in . Central Asia
- Collect costume and craft beads and send to the Awana club in
- Help stop human trafficking around the world through the coalition http://www.stopthetraffik.org/
- Support families who are suffering because of religious persecution through http://www.rememberthose.org/. “There have been more Christians killed in the 20th century than in the previous nineteen centuries combined.” —
House Resolution. Scripps-Howard News Service, September 28, 1996 U.S.
- Lead your Home Group or family to send Bibles from your home to people being persecuted for their faith who want to share more with others in their country. http://www.biblesunbound.com/ or http://www.persecution.com/.
- Lead a team to build a HC ramp for someone locally. Contact: Screven Association of local SBC churches. Contact office at 843-871-2410 to get more information or go to http://www.screvenassoc.org/.
- Adopt a needy child for about $1 a day through Compassion International or World Vision. Write and receive letters. http://www.compassion.com/.
- Write a letter to a child you already support.
- Get your Home Group to build a school in
. Costs about $3,000. Haiti
- Write a Christian who is imprisoned for their faith in another country. Do so in their own language through http://www.prisoneralert.com/ or http://www.persecution.com/.
- Buy a goat for a family. http://www.worldvision.org/ or http://www.samaritanspurse.org/.
- Invite your neighbors along with some friends from church to a Labor Day cookout.
- Start your own blog and write about your journey with Christ. http://www.blogger.com/, http://www.myspace.com/
- Invite a co-worker to meet your family for dinner at Zaxby’s or Moe’s.
- Get a group to pledge $3,000 to build one well for clean drinking water in
- Organize the collection of socks and towels for low country missions and ministries.
- Help translate the New Testament into another language. http://www.oneverse.org/