rails

rails

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Fast Media, or Media Fast?

Right now I'm listening to a nation-wide conference call with guest Carl George. Carl is a small groups & leadership guru in church ministry. He is best known for his metachurch groups model.

As it relates to hearing from God, His will, and what we're to do next, Carl talked about donig
media fasts.

To hear from God, Carl says, he has to
fast (abstain) from media (radio, iPod, TV, internet, literature) for chunks of time (1 hr, 5 hrs, whole day) to hear from God.

For example, before doing this conference call with leaders from churches all over the country, Carl sat down with a blank piece of paper and pencil and asked God, "What do you want from me today on this conference call?"

I think that's amazing.

And it was.

I didn't just hear Carl George's ideas about small groups. I heard what God wanted to say to me about a whole list of things including small groups, leadership, solitude, prayer, passion, inspiration, and the power of a fresh story. I learned a ton in the 45 minutes I listened. And I heard it all through Carl simply because he took the time to stop and listen.

I'm giving it a try. I going to schedule on my weekly calendar time to sit and ask God questions. I need to listen. Think. Without the distractions of any kind of media. This won't be easy for me, but I've benefited from it in the past. I have tasted and enjoyed the reward from this type of activity.

Give it a try and let me know what happens for you.