rails

rails

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Are you an answer to prayer?

Have you ever prayed for something and then God used you to be the answer to that prayer?

I can still remember praying for Bill, my agnostic friend at work. He loved to debate about anything with anybody. I prayed for God to open his eyes to truth. I prayed for Bill to be saved. I prayed for Bill to see Christ in the Believers around Him. I never saw him make any real movement towards Christ. It was difficult to watch at times.

What is interesting here is that while I was praying for Bill, God was using me to answer that prayer. I worked beside Bill for about a year. During that year Bill saw how I worked with other people, how I treated other people and how I treated and talked to him. He experienced grace and love through me (albeit not perfectly). He saw the Gospel.

Jesus does the same thing with His disciples.

Jesus said, "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field." (Matthew 9:37-38)

Then, right after he tells the disciples to "Ask the Lord" for workers, He sends them as workers into the world. (See Matthew 10)

That's just like God, isn't it. He teaches us to pray and then He teaches us to be willing to be the answer to our own prayer. Are you requesting of God prayers you're willing to be the answer to?

I would love to hear how God has used you to be an answer to prayer lately.