rails

rails

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Sacrifice \Sac"ri*fice\

Sacrifice is offering, surrending or giving something of great personal value to God or someone else. The key is that it costs you something.

Can I really worship God when it costs me nothing; that is, when it isn't a "Sacrifice of praise?"

The author of Hebrews calls us to continually offer a sacrifice of praise to God. That is, I am to offer God praise that costs me something of great value. And I'm to do it 24/7.

It could be any of the following:

* Giving an extravagent financial gift,
* Choosing to serve some obscure person anonymously instead of going to the big game,
* Heping a new neigbhor move in,
* Inviting somebody to dinner that couldn't return the favor,
* Speaking to someone holding a "Will work for food" sign, or
* Singing songs in church without concern for how "foolish" you might look to other people.

Regardless of what it is, by definition, it must cost you something valuable. Otherwise, it's not a "Sacrifice of praise."

As I think about this verse I wonder how I can ever sing to God without worrying about what other people think. I guess I won't unless I think about the sacrifice of praise God made for me--and he didn't worry about what other people thought.

"But God demonstrates his love for us in that while we were still sinners Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

"Therefore, let us offer through Jesus a continual sacrifice of praise to God, proclaiming our allegiance to his name. And don’t forget to do good and to share with those in need. These are the sacrifices that please God." Hebrews 13:15-16